(navigation image)
Home American Libraries | Canadian Libraries | Universal Library | Community Texts | Project Gutenberg | Children's Library | Biodiversity Heritage Library | Additional Collections
Search: Advanced Search
Anonymous User (login or join us)
Upload
See other formats

Full text of "Mathura A District Memoir"

THE KrSUM SAEOVAK.

omice? a flowered design of some vitreous material executed at Delhi.   This
ccsmemorates Bakdeva Sink, who died in 1825, and was erected by nis son

and successor the late Raja Balavant Sinh, vho was placed on the throne after
the reduction of the fort of Bharat-pur hy Lord Combermere in 1826. The
British army figures conspicuously in the paintings on the ceilings of the
pavilions.* Rtija Bandhir Sinh, who is commemorated by the companion
monument, was the elder brother and predecessor of Baladeva, and died in the
year 1823. These chhatfcris are very elegantly grouped piles of building and
have an extremely picturesque effect, which is heightened by the sheet of water
in front of them. Bat from a purely architectural point of view, they are not
of any great merit, and give the idea of haYfflg been executed by a contractor^
vho scamped the work to increase his own profit. The decorative details are
mostly poor in themselveSj and are repeated with a monotonous uniformity^
'which, contrasts most disagreeably with the rich variety of" design that disian-
goishes ail the more important buildings either in Ma&nra or Bandar-ban. The
painting on the interior of the domes is also as heavy and tasteless as Hindu
attempts at pictorial art generally are.

A mile or so from, the town, on the borders of the parish
is a much more magnificent arcMtectaral group erected by JawaMr Singli ill
honour of his father Suraj Mall, the founder of the family^ who met his deafclt
at Delhi in 1764 (see page 40). The principal tomb, which is 57 feet square^
is of precisely the same style as the two already described. The best part of
the design Is the plinth, wMch is at once bold in outline and delicate In finish.
With that curious blindness to practical requirements, wMdi appears to have
characterised the Hindu architect from the earliest period to tfoe present, the
decorated panels have been continued all round the four sides of Hbe building,
without a blank space being left anywhere for the steps, wMeit the height from
the ground readers absolutely necessary, Tbe R&j&'s monument is Hanked
on either side "by one of somewhat less dimensions) commemorafeig; Ms two
qneenSj Hansiyaf and Kishori. The lofty terrace upon wMdb they stand is
460 feet in length, with a long shallow pavilion serving as a screen at each eadj
* In Hie garden, attached to this cbhattri the Mahirija has a house, where IK stays on M
Tisite to the town ; bat at all ^tfcer times it is most obligiagl j placed at the disposal erf European
Tiaitora.
f Hans-ganjs on tie teak af the jEmoaa, immediately opposite Mallinrm* w             iy Has
Rani.   la consequence of a diversion of the road wMch oace pawed through it the tillage m
aow that mosfc melanchoij of all epectacies^ a modern mm 5 though it
vailed gardens, croirded wi& magnificent toees